MAHSA Body Building & Fitness Competition 2011 [AND] MAHSA Idol Grand Final 2011 Recapitulation

Saturday, October 15, 2011 Unknown 5 Comments

WARNING!!! It's going to be a LOOONNGGG post. Coz I'm actually combining 2 events together. I think it should be taken the same level of attention. Hence this combination. Also, this post is non-bias. Things I mentioned is solely my personal opinions.
PS: I'll try to upload the photos for both events ASAP.

-------

Mahsa Body Building & Fitness Competition 2011
I'm sorry for the delay. I was too overwhelmed with so MANY stuffs happening all in a row, my assignment, VIVA, presentation, etc. Finally I'm done with my 4000+ words assignment. I spend 2 days editing all the photos I had during this event. I must say, editing the pictures is a challenge! (as I don't have very good camera =/) Due to insufficient lights, and at the same time more than sufficient light, I was having a hard time playing with colour curves, saturation, and lightning since most of the photos taken are over-exposed.

So, Yesterday I've released one group photo of the event as a "Sneak-Peak" for the people to have a slight gaze at. Boy-oh-boy, the photo(below) was well-received! =D

Happy Winners =D
I arrived there around 4.30pm, as an effort to support and to witness how the whole thing run, and how the organisers are putting things together.
The night before, I get to talk to Prakash and Oclipz (people behind MBFC), both my seniors regarding MBFC (Mahsa Bodybuilding and Fitness Club). They told me about their background, and how they started this club, their vision, and etc... Both of them are very passionate people but I must say, they really have to work really hard as both of them are very very busy people! LoL

Set up (lowest picture is an edited version, there's only one table in actual XD)
Basically, it is an Open competition to all MAHSA students and staffs. It was held at MAHSA Recreational Area / Student Lounge / Block E, 2nd Floor on 12th October 2011 from 6pm-8pm. The participants are competing against one another in their own category of 3 different categories (Mr. Muscle, Mr. Beach Boy, Mr. Tough Guy). Trophies + Certificate +MBFC T-Shirt is awarded to TOP 5 WINNERS.

pre-Competition preparation : Warm Up
ps: I wasn't the one who took this picture.
It was quite awkward for me to get in the room of 20+ hunks?

here's the contestants lined up before the REAL thing starts!
Photos I managed to take as a recap.

Judges of the day: all from Physiotherapy Department
Mr. Madhavan, head judge (the one in orange) is the previous India Body Building Champion!
[Photo of the Event] I took this at the right timing during photo slides, I love how this picture feels
Edited it with nostalgic essence, giving people a feeling of happiness, homely, & unity 
Brief Recap:
Basically, the competition is divided into 2 sessions:
Each category posed in group for the 1st session, showing front, back, side, some other anatomical movement to prominently show respective muscles.
2nd session was a bit more interesting with individual 1 minute performance from each contestant with their own background music. I was impressed by few of the contestants who weren't just 'competing' but rather enjoying. Some of them are pretty creative too!

check out the number of people who came!
Overall, the event was a success! Honestly speaking, Prakash, Oclipz and I never expected that many people would come to support this event as we thought that Mahsa Idol Grand Final would be the ONLY focus for the day. Thanks for the supports, guys! =D



PS: Photos taken during this event were more than 150+ I'll still need some time to edit them d/t over-exposure, and I'll upload to facebook A.S.A.P!

Mahsa Idol Grand Final 2011 Recapitulation
After witnessing Elimination Round, I got to say I'm still very impressed and blown away by the talents we got in Mahsa despite a week is over. I was uberly excited for the Final as I knew some of the contestants and I really hope to see their best performance on stage!

Went early to see their rehearsal, sound check etc during Mahsa Bodybuilding break :D

heaps of thanks to Andrew for the reserved seats
 Pre-competition:
Geek in the Pink !

Chad

Meicther

Sze Hoong & Guitarist (sorry, I don't know his name)
* * *
SORRY Megalodon!!! I didn't get to take a group photo of you guys. The timing wasn't right all the time and you guys were not in yet when I was taking photos of others =D
* * *

Let's Start Rollin'
So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to give you brief details of their performances, and my thoughts on it, and some other extra things =)
Grand Finale was a slight different from Elimination Round. Each contestants are required to sing English song on their 1st round and a Malay song on their 2nd. And this time, they induced voting system where audiences' votes stand 40% of their total marks, whilst judges' marks weights 60%. It's a good system to get audiences involve.

Lo' & Behold!
Our entertaining Emcees of the night!
I feel they're smoother than the Elimination Round, and they nailed it throughout the night ;)




Judges of the night 
I find most of their comments very constructive and motivative

1st Performance: Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink is a very interesting Trio Group. I would say, their performance during elimination round caught everyone's eyes. Mixing songs together is definitely their strongest point that is not found in others. They started the performance with an interesting video of how they came up with the name "Geek in the Pink". I have to compliment a lot on their effort of mixing song. I never thought Michael Buble's Sway & Bruno Mars' Just the Way You Are could be sung together! Singing and synchronising together is not easy too. This needs a lot of understanding, and good hearing efforts. I was around them when they were practising til 3am in the morning prior to the finals. No one was loosening up until the final date. This is the sacrifice that each group paid to step up to that stage and to perform their best to all the audiences =) 
Honestly speaking, I was expecting them to be one of Top 3 ;)
Personally, I feel this group deserves the best "Stage Presence & Performance"



 2nd Performance: Chad @ Rozzl
Personally, I think he has the best outfit (1st round) of the night. I love the long outer coat, high neck collar with lace details. I would love to compliment his efforts on the stage settings too. The backdrop, candles, table, wine glass, ... Gave me a very vintage-ish, isolated, stranded, sad, lonely feeling. I find he has very rich facial expression when he's singing and the conveyance of the song is very smooth. I love him singing Beyoncé's Listen. That's one of my favourite song, also a song that I would challenge people to sing. Not everyone can sing that, you see! haha. He nailed it, he definitely has good vocals.
I feel he deserves the Best Outfit Award =)


3rd Performance: Siow Sze Hoong

Siow Sze Hoong, I can say she has the strongest supporting group at scene. She might look small, but trust me she has amazing big voice! Adele's Rolling in the Deep is the-song today. She definitely caught my heart with that song! I almost forget to take any picture of her as I was enjoying my indulgence in her voice while she sings. It's very very fascinating to see such young age being able to sing unplugged for Rolling in the Deep and Gemuruh by Faizal Tahir, another very uplifting spirit song which I sang when I was in a motivation camp for my SPM and STPM ;)
I feel she deserves the Best Vocal !
Photos taken when one of the judge said "I like you, you're very cute"
 4th Performance: Meicther Lanius George
Meicther, is one who usually is behind the scene as he is not a very extroverted guy. I was following his blog some time ago, and I find him is a bit more of a low self-esteem person. I was shocked when he managed to put himself on stage, singing steadily to the audiences!!! He even managed to interact with the audience. Not all performers of the night do a lot of eye-contacts & interactions with the audiences. I feel him being able to perform so well and steady in front of the V.I.Ps....! I must compliment him in this. Really good efforts put =)
I feel he deserves the Best Interaction with Audiences Award ;)

5th Performance: Megalodon




Since I didn't take a group photo of them before the competition starts, I'll put more pictures of them here =). Megalodon is the biggest group here as you can see (above). I would compliment on their visual effects. 1st song when they were singing Sweet Child of Mine, the background was blinking continuously. I must say it's a very very effective and good strategy to get people to focus only on their performance! With their numbers, of course their audio effect is pretty amazing too. They have strong bass and acoustic guitar background. 2nd song was well brought about with the message telling the world, also with photo slides as background telling us what is happening out there despite us being in our comfort zone. A good way too! to let audiences anticipate using the number countdown! They looked so good as a group, looked professional, definitely good visual effect on stage!
I feel they deserve the Best Visual Effect on Stage 


-So as you can see, each and every group / individual has their own strength
&
they have their own "charm" on stage-


Special Performances:

Special Performance from New Pro-Chancellor


Special Performances from Khairul & Dental Tech students
 The Un-expected Surprise!
 (Datuk Hanifa's Birthday!)
It was a very prompt one! Never expected it. The technical problem part was a bit fishy haha! But it was good. Though we're sitting in front, we still can't see anything when the lights turned on. So I circled the region you should be focusing below =)


check out the BIG birthday cake, and hand-drawn potrait!

here's the BIG Birthday Card :)
 The Announcement
Palpitation moment!
All the contestants standing on stage with V.I.Ps

Tadaaaaaa!!! the winners!
Winner: Siow Sze Hoong
2nd Place: Chad
3rd Place: Megalodon
 The Aftermath
with Geek in the Pink
Thought their efforts should be appreciated too!

with Meicther
good efforts put in, really! It's good to get to talk to you

Lastly, I have to end the blog with this last picture of us.
Mabel, Me, Hilda, Joeann
Overall, this event is definitely a SUCCESS! Congrats to the people and team behind all these. I'm anticipating for 2nd Mahsa Idol =) Let's not forget about people behind the scenes who worked hard to make this event a great success. I envisage that the next Mahsa Idol, would set a higher bar for the competition to draw more talents!

5 comments:

I thought our votes only stand 40% of the total mark, no?

Unknown said...

i think so. I must have mixed up? LoL ANYWAY I was editing pics non-stop til 6am this mrng. Must have miss-type that part

JOFA GROUP said...

Yeah.. Thanks Jasmine.. This is the best blog for Grand Final Mahsa Idol..

JOFA GROUP said...

And i'm a big fan of Sze Hoong!!!!! hahaha.. I will feel bad if anybody wins other than Sze Hoong..

Unknown said...

thanks, Chad. I like your voice. Never knew you have good voice too! Anyway, where's my Rakan Muda card?